Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Prison Pens could have saved a lot of trauma

I was looking for a pen yesterday,either I have a ton of them or I can't find them at all.When I went to the draw I was surprised to find the prison pen. YOU SAY TO YOURSELF WHAT THE HECK IS A PRISON PEN?

Let me tell you the story first: I believe we can www.stophealthcareviolence.org if we ALL work together and learn to communicate well with each other.
I have worked in two ER'S for over 17 years I have seen a lot ,I have seen things I wish I didn't see but I did.
Here's the story now!!!!!!!
The police and EMS  bring in a patient handcuffed:
 The patient's story goes like this, told by the EMS.
This person had his wife and kids in his car,he was holding a gun to the wife's head, he cut her pretty bad with a razor blade on her feet so she couldn't run out of the car ( the wife wasn't brought to our hospital) He stopped at her mothers house to let the mother know he was going to kill the wife and kids.
The mother called the police and the police arrived and handled this situation called EMS and now the person was on the ER stretcher handcuffed to the railings.
Now on the hospitals part they were trying to get people to sign in for their treatment. The registration person comes down to get the signature,she looked at the police officer and he stated he can't have him sign because it could be looked at, as coercion. ( something I never thought about)
Registration hands the patient the pen and he starts stabbing himself with the pen....
Registration is so shocked she can't move,police are yelling to STOP with their hands on their guns.
The whole situation could have been avoided with the prison pen.
Our NEW director of security had come from the prison system and  told us about the pens. They are flexible pens maybe a soft plastic that no one could get hurt on.
(WE could all find lots of fault with the whole story ,EXample person shouldn't have tried to get signature etc. it happens everywhere).
The whole point of this is: If we had the prison pen we would have used it BUT not one person had ever heard of it.. The New Director of Security because of his experience was able to share this information and ordered the pens to hope this incident would never happen again.

Sheila Wilson R.N.BSN MPH

www.stophealthcareviolence.org



No comments:

Post a Comment