Monday, September 2, 2013

Why do we stay in a profession that uses us as punching bags?

  1. Recently I went around asking people ",DO YOU KNOW THAT HEALTHCARE WORKERS GET ASSAULTED"? The answer was in most cases" no I never heard that". I really wasn't surprised but I wondered why.
Are nurses or any, healthcare professionals, like a battered woman?
We as the public( speaking of a battered woman) would yell and scream "she is crazy to stay with him, look what she is teaching her children, why doesn't she leave?"! ETC, ETC.
As professionals are we Afraid to stand up for themselves?
Is fear the only issue?
The answer to this question has many facets.( losing the job, not looking good in someone's  eyes, paying bills. The list goes on.)
I once spoke to a co worker that stated she was kicked by a patient, I asked her if she had the physician look at the area she was kicked. She stated NO, I asked did you make out a incident report? Again the answer was NO. I asked why, her answer was "well it really wasn't that bad"!
How bad does it have to be before something is done???? Allowing anyone to spit,kick,slap,pinch and punch is wrong. So easy to say.....
Incident reports have to be made out so the institution knows what is really happening. Follow up to the person that has been assaulted is also important.
We as healthcare workers ( EMS, Nurses,NP, physician asst, Doctors, xray techs, Medical asst. and this list  goes on) are the hero's .
I want to thank each and every one for the work you do. Be safe.
Please go to www.stophealthcareviolence.org to see how your life as a nurse can change after an assault.

No comments:

Post a Comment