Friday, February 14, 2014

Emailed to me, How sad!

Hi Sheila ,
I am having trouble with the patient I am taking care of. He has started to hit me.
 I wrote back and asked if he spoke to his family . The answer was yes and they spoke to patient and the patient said ,"I will do what I have to do to get what I need"   The family gets angry when I ask about him. I asked if they called his primary care physician , he said no. They don't want to be bothered, they just get mad  at me and threaten me. I know I am going to get fired.    
This is a very sad story, however I don't know if it is true ,are family members really not caring?( I have met many in my day)
I gave this person a number to call to ask questions about his change in condition and get some answers as what to do., if this was a change in his behavior he needed to be seen,but I don't know the legal issues. If the patient needed to be evaluated and the family states they didn't want him evaluated could he call elder abuse? I don't know the laws in every state.?
He emailed again to tell me that this patient of his is yelling and trying to hit him, he hadn't called the number I had mentioned, then he said I know he has guns in house,when I asked, do you know if they are loaded he said no but I can see the container of bullets. Again I asked if he called the number I had suggested,the answer was no. He stated he needed to assist the patient and email later.
He emailed me later and told me he had 2 weeks to get out of there. He didn't have anywhere to go. He worked for this family 24/7 little pay and sounds like no support.
I haven't heard from him lately but the reason I am writing this, is :
Why are elderly patients left to their own demons, it sounded like this man needed help and the family doesn't sound that interested .
Could this person been shot by the guns?
How many elderly patients are like this ,with care givers that are treated they way this one was?
What really is behind closed doors???????????


www.stophealthcareviolence.org


Sheila Wilson R.N.BSN MPH

No comments:

Post a Comment