Saturday, January 11, 2014

Is this episode enough for this hospital to look at the realty of violence?

I read in the newspaper about 3 healthcare workers  that were stabbed with a pair of scissors  in a hospital ,they were stabbed by a patient that was inpatient in the psychiatric department.
What I was really surprised at, was the report stating superficial wounds and the spokesperson stated they expect full recovery from that people that were assaulted.
How does one not have PTSD after this? I remember being assaulted and having nightmares, then at work ,when I was to caring for a patient I would have  sweaty palms ,and a high heart rate until I felt as though I was safe, months later I am a caregiver not a punching bag.
These 3 people were in terrible danger ,I hope this hospital doesn't sit back and ask "what could they have done to prevent that" I hope things change and the hospital makes an effort to prevent this from happening again . I see a solution already, don't give Psychiatric patients scissors ,don't have any thing that can be used as a weapon in the patient's reach. Simple suggestion but it could have prevented this situation...
What I liked is the person got arrested, but I feel the patient should have been transferred out of the hospital and put in a safer place for the benefit of staff and the patient.....

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment