Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Levels of assault :if it dosen't hurt to bad,is it okay that you were slapped across your face?

"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies BUT even more to stand up to your friends"  quoted in Bookreporter.com.by J.R. Rowling

How true this statement is.
 I was approached one day by a nurse that told me a patient had slapped her across her face, when she was taking care of him. She was very upset that she had been assaulted and NO ONE cared about that issue. She said she told everyone and all they did was roll their eyes and shrug. I could see the red mark that was still on her face. I listened for a little while longer and we discussed writing out an incident report for her and one on the person that slapped her. When the nurse turned to leave and write out the reports another nurse caught my sleeve and when I turned to look at who had my sleeve another nurse said "she wasn't slapped that hard, I don't know why she is telling you"
I was stunned that another nurse said that. At that time maybe I should have stood up to her and stated that she shouldn't have been assaulted in the first place, it doesn't matter how bad the assault is!
Do we really think we should allow someone to slap us as long as it isn't a real hard slap? What is the recourse when their is no defining line among the team players about being assaulted. It makes me wonder about their home life, could they be assaulted at home?
I feel as though I am planting seeds but not all the seeds have taken root.
Comments?

www.stophealthcareviolence.org

Sheila Wilson R.N.BSN MPH

No comments:

Post a Comment